Friday, November 12, 2004

My fish died today.

His water was looking a little murky. It has for awhile actually, but I picked Friday as the day to clean his bowl. I did all the same stuff as always. Got a bowl. Filled it with permeate water. I used the room temperature tap, so he wasn't getting shocked. Filled as high as I could, then put him in. He was agitated as always, when I took him out of his bowl, but he swam around excitedly once in the temporary bowl. I started the process of cleaning his real home.

About halfway through the bowl cleansing, I took a look at my fish again. He wasn't moving. At all. I nudge the bowl, to get him to wave his fins. Nothing. He was completely dead, without possibility of revival.

I am now sad. I liked my fish. It was fun to watch him swim around in his bowl, on my desk. I could tap the glass and watch him swim when the vibrations stirred his water. He'd come to the front of the tank, and watch me for awhile. It always made me smile.

I know, its just a fish. I do, however, feel a faint urge to cry. I probably won't, but that swollen feeling that you get around your eyes, just before you start crying, is tinging my consciousness as I write this.

I don't know what I did wrong. I must have done something, because he died only after I moved him from his home. Was it the bowl? Was it moving him? (but he survived the move before) Was it the water? (I used 'pure' water, the same as always) I just don't know. I am a fish killer. I don't like knowing that.

Thoughts?

No comments: