Saturday, January 08, 2005

There's something else I thought of today.

At last reported count (or at least the one I saw) the death toll from the tsunami disaster had climbed past 150,000. Given that the totals are not abating in their continual rise, I think it is safe to say that, when the final tally is made, that one disaster will have wiped the equivalent of ALL of Saskatoon, off the map.

It is a disaster. It is being covered in the media. However, what I'm not seeing is the sense of awe that we had when the two towers fell. The death toll from this event is going to dwarf the 9/11 tragedy by so many times that to compare the two will do an injustice to the suffering of the people living out this tidal wave horror.

Nonetheless, the reporting of it, or what I'm seeing in the coverage available to me, is not quite the sense of monument that we had when the towers fell. Is that fair? Its a world away from us, and so I suppose we feel a bit insulated from the gravity of what has befallen those poor people.

One city's population (or the comparative amount) was wiped from existence in the span of a day. Doesn't that merit at least as much solemnity as was afforded the city of New York?

No comments: