Monday, April 25, 2005

I've decided what is my biggest bone of contention with video games.

You can't play them in a window

Its 10 years now we've been sold down this windowed world view to computing. And down this road we have not reached my holy grail of computing. I want to do more than one thing at a time. My favorite games are the ones that aren't knuckle biting action the whole time. I like a lazy game. Explore a gentle world to solve a puzzle. Quietly establish my own little world, with my eyes the ones of God. Set up my little civilization to co-exist peacefully with computer generated rulers. These games exist, but the means to play them does not. We can have dual-core CPU's, displays that can number into double digits, but a good game still monopolizes your display.

Why does it have to be this way?

No comments: