Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I gotta say something. . .

What the hell is wrong with technology? Why is it that we can't find a way to seamlessly move from one state of existence into another? How is it that we have to leave backdoors and deadends to everything as we move forward?

I have a problem. The 'computer' that controls my pilot unit can only store approximately 45 days worth of performance data before it needs to be downloaded. To get the data off the controller, I need to connect it to a regular computer, like a laptop. But do they make that easy?

HELL NO!!!

To connect to this controller I need a 25 pin serial connection. Do you know how hard it is to find a computer with a serial port on it? Its damn near impossible! First of all, anything portable, like a laptop, does NOT have a serial port on it. If you want a laptop with a serial port on it, it has to be old. OOOOOLD!!! Next of all you have to be able to communicate via the serial connection. Does Windows want to communicate over a serial port?

HELL NO!!!

So I waste 6 hours and another 8 on driving there and back . . twice. And in the end I don't have my data. Plus I'll probably LOSE some of it because it doesn't look like I'll have this problem solved before the 45th day.

Technology pisses me off.

No comments: