Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I've watched the Britney Spears performance at vary sites since she made the appearance. It seems to be universally panned and I wanted to know why. Okay, let's be honest. Everyone hated it and thought it was an embarassment beyond words. Is this true?

Did she look horrible? No, on that count I think people are being overly harsh. Is this 18 year old Britney? Not even close. Britney Spears when she first appeared was a specimen the likes of which doesn't come around very often. And its still not going to be there at 25 years of age. Factor in that she had two children in rapid succession and anyone that believed that Britney would look as stunning as she did at 18 was in very a really big letdown.

Did she look good? I don't know. Maybe I'm not being critical enough. I thought she looked pretty tasty. Which should be prefaced with the comment that my usual preference is for very small, very petite girls. So conceding that Britney looked appealing is a compromising of my usual standards. Really, I think people should it slight that she wasn't in perfect shape. If she has the time I would guess that she'll eventually achieve that goal. The first step is motivation.

But what about the performance? Wasn't that just a train wreck of a stage show?

I keep watching it, hoping to catch signs that I might have missed the last review. I keep studying the details and I am repeatedly underwhelmed. While Britney's physique was unimpressive it was not repellent. The dance number itself was pretty close to being complete excrement.

First of all, I really don't believe she even knew where she was supposed to go on the stage. Whenever you caught her eyes on stage it appeared she was searching out her next spot to him. That seems like a sore lack of practice. The dancer's around her seemed on their game, but Britney wasn't really dancing with them. She seemed to be walking through the whole routine. Taking step to step as she hit pre-defined spots on the stage. She had no energy, and no fire, and appeared to be just going through the motions.

Honestly, as it watched it this last time I had the impression I was watching a dress rehearsal. What Britney was wearing was piss poor for her big comeback, and seemed more like something she'd just throw on that was kinda sparkly as they worked out the details of the routine. Plus she made only a passing attempt at hitting her vocal mark for the clearly dubbed in vocals. The whole performance had the polish of what you'd expect for a dress rehearsal of about two weeks ago. But by now it should have been a lot more polished.

I'm not yet ready to write Britney Spears off as a failed celebrity. Frankly, she carries too much curiousity for her not to get another shot, and then another, until finally hitting the mark and becomes a feel-good story again. But frankly, someone needs the smack the girl in the head, and tell her what to do. History over the past 3 or 4 years has displayed that she has NO ability to manage her own life. Britney needs to make the one decision that is most important in her life, and that's to hire someone else to think for her. There's too much at stack to leave the decisions in her un-talented hands.

No comments: