Thursday, April 12, 2012

This is a story that I don't think will occur again for some time.

We were heading downtown for lunch, heading south on Idylwyld Drive. It was a fairly normal day; traffic was not particularly troubling. We got to the corner of 22nd Street and Idylwyld Drive, and it was still 5 to 12. Everything looked good to be one time at the Vietnamese restaurant for lunch.

We were behind a red pickup truck in the left turn lane, from Idylwyld onto 22nd Street. It is noon, and this is a hectic intersection, so I thought little of the fact that we didn't progress any on the light cycle. I assumed someone at the head of the line is just really timid on the left turn.

Then another light cycle came and went and we didn't move again. Now I am thinking, what the hell?!? I start looking around, to see if I can see past the truck. Or staring intently at the driver's mirror, to see if I can figure out, what the hell??

Another light cycle has now passed. We are not moving. Mark and I are now talking about what the possible circumstances are. The inevitability of death is mentioned as an option. People behind us are getting out of their vehicles now, to see what is going on. Others, more impatient, are pulling out, going in the right lane, and slipping back in, in front of the red truck. There is a ton of scowling going on amongst everyone.

We're stuck, as the vehicle directly behind the red truck. He's not moving, so we're not moving. If they are far enough back, people behind us are making the move go to around. I really don't even have that as an option because everyone else is blocking my access into the right lane.

Finally Mark has had enough and he wants to know what's going on. Even if that means finding a dead man stalled in the left lane of Idylwyld. Just as he opens the door, the man starts to attention in his truck. I notice him shake his head once, and then he begins to drive ahead slowly. He gets to the light, which is green, and he motors through, off towards who knows where.

We dumbfoundedly make the left turn onto 22nd Street, still marvelling at the man who fell asleep at the stop light.

No comments: