Sunday, January 06, 2013

Andi


I’m pretty sure there’s something wrong with Andi.  At the same time I can’t really pinpoint how I know this, what it means, or how to resolve it.  The only concrete symptoms I can point out is she hasn’t eaten anything (or so it appears to me) in two days.  Nor is she drinking any water or the milk I put out for her.  So my time of concrete symptoms is relatively short.  But call it intuition, or whatever you want, but I’m just sensing that something is wrong.

She has one other symptom.  Her body heaves like she’s breathing hard, but at the same time if you look at her face she doesn’t appear to be panting.  I don’t know what that means but its definitely not usual.

I am frustrated.  I got a sense of premonition that began during Christmas holidays.  Something seemed amiss, but I couldn’t nail it down.  She was eating ‘less’ but it wasn’t nothing.  At first I chalked it up to the fact that I had to buy her different cat food.  There was no Kitty Chow on the shelf when I went to the grocery store, so I picked something new.  I told myself that maybe the diminished eating was just a disinterest in the new food.

The perplexing part is she goes from appearing to be really straining, to periods of appearing fine.  Just the other day (Wednesday or Thursday) she was energetic enough to climb the shelves behind me that go to the ceiling, and knock stuff on the floor.  Now she’s sitting on my desk, her little body pulsing, and she gives me these sad eyes like I need to do something.

I don’t know what to do.  If it was something clear cut I would do it immediately.  But I look at her, her eyes appearing scared and unsure of what’s happening, and I can’t console her.  She wants to sit on my lap again, like she was doing before and during Christmas.  Now she can’t sit there for 30 seconds before she gets up and walks back on the desk.  I try to pick her up and she just fusses until I put her down.

I hope that I can take her to the vet tomorrow.  And I hope that there’s some kind of solution to her distress.  Because it pains me to know that she needs me to do something, and I really have no clue what could make her feel better.

No comments: