Thursday, July 08, 2004

Again, just for the record, I want to make a proclamation. Greg AJ Schwalm, living in the city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, is a god damn, unbelievable freakin' genius.

I was having some trouble with my network equipment at home. I piddled around with it a bunch of times but I always got to the same point. My notebook would access the wireless network but my WiFi enabled PDA would not access it. However, when I say it wouldn't access it, I do not mean in totality. Sometimes it would. But in an hour of trying, the PDA would be online for 1 minute, and offline for the other 59 minutes. It was very frustrating. It worked, but very, very poorly, so I blamed incompatible equipment, and gave up. (until I would get a new bug in my ass about having wireless access for my PDA)

Then, I was talking to Greg about network equipment last weekend. I had just bought an SMC all-in-one and (router/switch/wireless access point) package and it worked slicker than Vaseline. From the time I opened the box, until it was fully functional, including wireless connection for my laptop AND PDA, was about 10 minutes. This contrasts with my DLink equipment in Watson, that was giving me all the grief. I told this story to Greg, glowing over how well it worked, and how well my DLink stuff did NOT work, and contemplating another SMC device for Watson, when Greg asked me a very important question.

Had I done a firmware upgrade for my network equipment?

Well no, I had not, because frankly, I didn't think of it. However, it made complete sense because my PDA was a brand spanking new model when I bought it. It was among the first batch to arrive at our supplier, so I was one of the first people in North America to have one of these Toshiba PDA's. My firmware (I know now) was from January 2003, so it wasn't as current as it could be, and was not as current as my new e750 PDA. It got all excited about having the wireless in Watson work right. Then I had to wait almost a week to try it out.

Well, it worked! Just like Greg suggested it might. I upgraded my firmware on the router, and then on the wireless access port. I pulled the PDA out of my vest pocket (where it nearly always is) and yup, without a hitch, the two started talking immediately. And its way faster than any other network I've ever connected this PDA to before.

I am super impressed. I want to send a heartfelt thank you out to my buddy Greg. Once again he has shown me his incredible genius, and calm, rational resolution of a problem. There are many times I wish I had his vision, when it comes to technical support. Thought I don't say it enough, thanks a bunch Greg. Once more you have fixed my problem. No meagre amount of words I could string together would ever convey enough, my relief at all the problems of mine that you solve. I have only this I can say.

Thank you.

No comments: