Thursday, December 07, 2006

I went to the passport office today.

That was an experience. I got there before the office was supposed to open and there was already a line. A long line. A VERY long line. I came out the elevator and the passport office was to the right. I had to go left to get to the back of the line. I also had to take another left at the corner before I got to the back of the line. It seemed a bit unreal.

I took the opportunity to do some reading while I was in line. Unfortunately some of the people behind me could not be as accomodating. I had to listen, for over an hour, as some pretentious sow, who's major claim to fame was answering phones at a non-profit corporation, told an equally garrulous old guy how horrible it was that she was missing work to be in line. Fine, you think you're important. But what I don't get is how she expected anyone to believe that she needed a passport for work. Near as I could tell, from the several phone calls she made back to her office, they didn't seem to even care that she wasn't in that morning. That they might send her to another country to represent the organization seemed highly improbable.

No comments: