Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why I Hate McDonalds
by Grant Guenther

I got up early this morning. I had thought about it the night before. I had a plan.  I was at the mall by 9:30. The whole thing started off well.  I stopped at the bank to get cash first. Its been awhile since I got dollar bills and occasionally it comes in handy.  

Next on my list was Safeway. I was going to go to Extra Foods but I changed my mind. I like the steak at Extra Foods better, thus my choice. However the Safeway lot was next to empty and that NEVER happens, so I changed my plan.

I didn't clean up before I left. I wasn't a complete pig. I'd had a shower the night before and I did brush my teeth. But I looked in the mirror before I left and did specifically comment that I definitely needed a shave. But this was just a quick trip and I wasn't trying to impress anyone so I let it slide.

Wouldn't you know my luck? I got the cutest chick working at Safeway as my teller.  She was in a costume. I think she was supposed to be Raggedy Ann or Alice in Wonderland. I wasn't entirely sure. It was a blue dress with a white smock-like front and she had red and white striped socks on. I totally would have started a conversation about it except I looked like a dirty hobo and she might have called the cops on me. Plus she always looks half-scared on the best of days.

It was still early when i left Safeway. It was only 10:00 so I decided 'I'm gonna get a McGriddle'.  

I go to McDonalds and as expected, it looks like a nursing home.  A full 90% of the people there were on social security.

I waited a brief time in line and get to order my McGriddle.  I look at the board "2.59/sandwich, $3.99/meal"  I don't want to pig out on McDonald's because I'll just feel gross.  How about get the meal, and it'll still come in under $5. i get the meal and she gives me the total.  

$5.03.  

Come on!

It has to be because I ordered a Coke.  She asks me, what do you want to drink?  I think about it for a second.  I don't like coffee.  I could get tea but its too much hassle getting the sugar in it.  Forgot about hot chocolate.  I could get orange juice or apple juice.  My juice at home is better.  I'll just get the Coke I wanted with it all along.

So instead of $3.99 for the 'meal' it was actually $4.79.  Just because of the damn Coke.  If its not $3.99 including drink, don't pretend like it is! You know, I wouldn't have noticed or cared, if it had just come in under $5.  But I had zero change with me, because this was /supposed/ to cost less than $5.  So I ended up leaving with enough change in my pocket to make my pants sag to my knees.

No comments: