Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Saskatchewan Bucket List

I really recommend, if you can find copy, that all Saskatchewan-ites read the book "The Great Saskatchewan Bucket List". It's primarily a picture/travel book.  Reading it won't make you feel like you consumed a novel.  You can go through 3 or 4 sites in a handful of minutes so its easy to read.

I'm  trying to find words to express why its good.  I find it inspiring.  Each location opens up with a feature picture and I am astonished, and moved, to realize that these are all places from where I call "home".

I want to travel.  Not to the far away places that I have.  Which all have their own appeal.  But many of these locations in the book are reachable with only a Saturday's travel.  And the pictures are magnificent.  I don't pretend to be a professional photographer on par with what's in this book.  But I've always thought that if I take 100 pictures of a place, 3-4 are going to be outstanding.

What draws me in now, is the photo's I've seen of our far north.  The Lake Athabasca region is mesmerizing to me.  Uranium City isn't specifically featured in the book, but I so want to see it.  However the most alluring pictures I found in the book were from the Athabasca Sand Dunes Provincial Wilderness Park.  The massive sand dunes are unbelievable.

I just want to go!  Somewhere, anywhere, but always "home".

1 comment:

Kathy said...

It sounds like you've read my mind Grant. This past year I've been thinking alot about travelling. If you need a companion, let me know.
Kathy