Monday, May 31, 2004

Well, I'm going to New Mexico!

I sometimes wonder if maybe I shouldn't be the boss, and my actual boss shouldn't be the employee. Then again, maybe he indulges me because it is me, and he wants to keep my happy. Nonetheless, I just spent about $15,000 of his money, essentially to appease a couple of my whims.

Whim one is a trip to New Mexico for a membrane cleaning course. I'm fairly happy about this. Everyday I take on more and more responsibility for the safety and good performance of our membrane treatment systems. Any additional knowledge I can acquire just makes me more, and more comfortable in my role. My assistant is working on my flight, hotel and car rental needs for this excursion. About all I have to do is get on the airplane.

The second whim is my desire to build a pilot unit that more accurately reflects the conditions likely to be encountered on full implementation on a large scale system (something in the 100+ gpm range). That'll be a $6000 or $7000 touch. But once we have it, the machine will be incredibly valuable, as a method of acquiring new, high profile projects, and doing proper pilot testing, before implementation of a full system. Yes its a lot of money, but its money well spent.

So I guess, despite it being a lot of money, its all going to a good purpose. Now that I've talked my way around it, maybe Murray does know what he's going with these things. I guess I just need to believe my ideas are good, and not be so concerned with things being foolish, or ill-concieved. Have faith! I guess that's the phrase of the day.

This is G%, sounding off from the rain forest of Saskatchewan.

No comments: