Saturday, January 12, 2008

Do you know what really grinds my gears?

Wal-Mart

I had to go there today. I'm doing an experiment. I'm going to try watching a movie on my PlayStation Portable. To the best of my knowledge there are only two places to buy PSP movies in a store. You can go to Wal-Mart or Future Shop. You can go to Future Shop but the selection is abysmal and they want $25 for just about everything. Pardon me for being cheap but I don't want to spend $25 on a movie that will only work on my PlayStation Portable. So I went to Wal-Mart. They have quite a few movies actually (I've checked before) and they cost about half of what you'd pay at Future Shop. Plus I could pick up some groceries and that would be my only shopping trip.

So I go to Wal-Mart this morning. I wanted to go before lunch so the teeming hordes would not yet be roused. I was only partially successful. The place was still busy but thankfully I didn't have to stumble over shopping carts.

So what's the deal with the greeters at Wal-Mart? First of all, what's the point? Besides pissing me off, what do these people accomplish? I get the purpose of the guy at the exit door. You gotta stop shoplifting. And with the semi-destitute people that seem to love Wal-Mart, it seems like a valid concern. But what's that guy at the entrance doing? I could have punched the guy they had there today. I have to cut him a little slack because I think he was actually semi-retarded. But could he possibly greet me without screaming? He just barking at everyone coming in the door and it was really irritating. Part of his training should have been volume control.

But that's not what pisses me off. I pick up my UMD movie and head to the food section for my breakfast groceries. Suddenly there is this wailing! Its obviously a child but the volume was unbelievable! You'd think they'd been hit by a sniper attack. Seriously, this was death rattling. They damn kid just howls, and howls and howls. It was the type of scream that you only seem to get when anal sex goes bad. This was brutal.

I'm already losing my patience with this as I walk to the check-out counter. I'm half a store away. Its only when I get to the front tills that I discover the source of this howling. Half a store away! This little piss-ant brat is just screaming bloody murder and its permeating the whole store. At full volume! And these fucking idiot parents are just letting the kid scream. And scream, and scream, and scream. I wanted to commit murder again. Surely I'd be doing this kid a favor if I put two in the temple of this ignorant mother and her half-wit husband. And the real kick in the balls to this is, they didn't even look like your typical, ignorant welfare miscreants. It looked like a middle-class family.

Sometimes I think that murder is justified.

No comments: