Thursday, May 20, 2004

How do you thank someone that has done you a wonderful favor, but you're really not in contact with anymore?

In my last job, I worked in a very traditional, business environment. Suits, ties, formal and stuffy. In this company we had a front line administrative assistant. Her name was Amanda. It was a daily affirmation to walk through the front doors in the morning, and get the sunny 'good morning' that she always gave freely. I liked her, but was always intimidated by her. She had that effortless beauty and grace that has always left me befuddled and nervous. Eventually I left that company, and embarked on a new career direction. Which, I would like to take the opportunity to say, I love with enormous passion. Amanda and I exchanged a few emails, but not long after I left, that fizzled out to no communication at all.

However, destiny is a funny thing. What I learned, as it turned out, was that the company I move to, was one that Amanda's father had owned. Amanda's father was no longer a partner in the company I move to, but her uncle remained the silent partner, to my boss, who was running the show. This piece of information came my way when Amanda took her trip to India. I was on her list of people to mail with her Indian exploits. I loved reading about her adventures, and must confess I was a little sad when the endeavour was over. At her request I printed copies of her exploits, so that her aunt and uncle could read about her trip.

I had a long talk with my boss this afternoon. It was the first time we'd crossed paths in the office in awhile, so there was a lot to be said. One thing led into the next and we ended up sitting there until 6:30. Towards the end, as we were talking about the company, its financial standing, and the ownership situation, Murray told me that Amanda had provided to her uncle a very glowing recommendation about me. I have to confess, I was a little shocked to hear that. I knew Amanda was a wonderful person, and I am infinitely glad to have met her. But, I did not know that I'd made any kind of impression on her, in the year and a half that we knew each other. I find myself in a place where, I'd like to thank her somehow, for the kind words, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Amanda, if by some miracle you end up reading my words, thank you. Your words, a simple act of kindness, are a deed I can think of no way to properly repay. Thank you Amanda, and know that anything good you could ever have said about me, is magnified tenfold, in my opinion of you.

No comments: